Becoming a United States citizen comes with many advantages. Some of the most significant ones include:
- Children become citizens: Generally, a citizen’s child is automatically eligible for citizenship once their parent becomes one, regardless of which country they were born in.
- Ability to bring family members to the U.S.: Once a person becomes a citizen of the United States, any request to bring family members to America will be given precedence.
- Eligibility to vote: In all federal elections, a person must be a U.S. citizen to vote. This also holds true in the majority of State elections.
- Obtaining a U.S. Passport: Once a person becomes a citizen, they are eligible to obtain a U.S. passport. This means that if the new citizen travels outside of the country, they will have all the benefits and advantages available to them in the case they need help from the U.S.
- Enhanced opportunities: Once a person becomes a U.S. citizen, they are eligible to pursue employment within the federal government as well as run for an elected political position if desired.
In addition to all the rewards of becoming a U.S. citizen, Americans also have a duty to uphold certain responsibilities once citizenship is attained. Some obligations of U.S. citizenship include:
- The provisions set forth in the Oath of Allegiance including loyalty to the America only, support for the principles established in the Constitution and if necessary, enlisting to serve in the U.S. military.
- Specific civic duties include jury duty and voting in political elections.
- Embracing the diversity of Americans by exhibiting acceptance and tolerance of all religions, cultures and races that make up the country.
- Pay homage to the freedoms that citizenship allow you by showing American patriotism and contributing to your new community.
Philadelphia Immigration Lawyers at Surin & Griffin, PC Advocate for the Rights of Immigrants
For almost 20 years, the experienced Philadelphia immigration lawyers at Surin & Griffin, PC have been protecting the rights of immigrants. Specifically, we provide aid to clients facing immigration problems throughout the U.S. If you or someone you know has a legal immigration concern, call the highly qualified Philadelphia citizenship attorneys at Surin & Griffin, PC at 215-925-4435 or fill out our online contact form to schedule your consultation. Conveniently located in the heart of center city Philadelphia, our multilingual immigration attorneys will provide you with convenient and reliable legal counsel and representation.