Philadelphia Immigration Lawyers: Who is Eligible for a Green Card?

Green Cards grant a person the opportunity to work and live in the United States as a permanent resident.  A Green Card provides documentation for people who are not naturalized and offers them the same legal rights as other permanent residents.

There are several ways in which individuals can achieve permanent residency status.  Undocumented immigrants may sponsored by family members or through employment.  Becoming a permanent resident may also be obtained via refugee or asylee status or through programs of humanitarian efforts.  In some cases one may self-file.

Green Cards for Family Members

If you are a family member of a U.S. citizen, you may apply for permanent residency status.  Eligibility applies to unmarried children over the age of 21, married children, spouses, children of any age, siblings and parents of the U.S. petitioner.  Lastly, members of special categories are also eligible including a battered spouse or child, K or V immigrants, children born to a foreign diplomat in the U.S., or a widow(er) of a citizen.

Green Cards through Employment

Undocumented immigrants may be eligible for a Green Card with the offer of permanent employment.  Employers must obtain a labor certificate and then file Form I- 140 (Petition for Alien Voucher.)

Green Cards through Refugee or Asylee Status

Immigrants allowed to enter the U.S. through refugee status, or those that qualify as a family member as an asylee, may apply for a Green Card.  Undocumented immigrants may apply for permanent status one year after being granted refugee or asylee status.

Other Ways to Obtain a Green Card

You may achieve a Green Card through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program.  This is referred to as the Green Card lottery.  Moreover, if an undocumented person becomes engaged to marry a U.S. citizen, an application may be filed under the K Nonimmigrant Visa.  Other options include Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) and the Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJ).

Philadelphia Immigration Lawyers Assist Undocumented Immigrants in the Green Card Process

The multi-lingual Philadelphia immigration lawyers at Surin & Griffin, P.C. have extensive knowledge of immigration laws and fight to keep undocumented immigrants from deportation. Our Philadelphia citizenship lawyers have a full understanding of Green Card procedures and processes. Our immigration lawyers understand the many concerns that immigrant residents may have and we are dedicated to guiding you through every step of the Green Card process.  For more information on obtaining permanent residency use our online contact form or call 215.925.4435 for an appointment.